Friday, September 16, 2011

Yesterday was the Feast of Our Lady of All Sorrows. This is my favorite Marian feast day, and not because I see her as a gloomy Gus!! I don't think she ever shirked from what was ahead of her; she must have known she had a tough road to walk right from that first angels' visit. I cannot believe the Holy Spirit kept her in the dark. Surely she would have pleaded for Jesus' life like her cousin did for John the Baptist. No, she knew he had a difficult future but she didn't encourage him to run away. From the beginning in a stable when he had kings and Shepard's alike come to pay him homage, she knew his life had a plan and she was committed to it. In fact, she pushed him into performing the miracle that began his mission when he clearly wasn't ready to begin. She knew it would lead to something scary, but she never hesitated. She knew that there is something better than what we have now.
The reason I like Our Lady of Sorrow is because it makes her more human, you know as human as a woman who is without sin can be! A mom, who loves her son, is afraid for him when he disappears on a family outing and watches cautiously while he is both adored by the crowds and hated by the Pharisees. A woman who was amazed as much bythe miracles her boy could do and and the strength he exhibited as she followed him on that long road while he staggered off to be crucified. A frightened mother who held her boy at the foot of that hated and feared cross after he died the death of lowest of the low...where had it all gone wrong. But through it all, she is serene...wow.

I have a fear...though I try to fear little of this world. I know that this is only a temporary home. I know that I have a much better place to be. I fear for my children...specifically, I fear they will die a dishonorable death. Isn't that crazy...but I do. How this woman, sinless and all, was able to watch her beloved son who did so much good be put to death on that horrible, hated cross is a witness to her faith; her certainty to that what comes next is better than this.

This Sunday's second reading talks about John wanting to be with Christ in that better place, but waiting to try and bring more people to the faith.


(all the bible translations are from http://www.ewtn.com/)
Philippians 1: 20 - 24, 27


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



20 as it is my eager expectation and hope that I shall not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.

21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

22 If it is to be life in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell.

23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.

24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.

27 Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you stand firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel,



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Father, please give me the confident heart of Mary that whatever trials I might face with myself and my loved ones, I am able to to meet them fearlessly. Please help me to pray tirelessly for my children that they know and love you. Protect them from unwise friends and their own anger. Help them to always walk in your path. Lord, if I ever face a trial with myself, a loved one, or one of my children, please hold me and keep me from despair. Enable me to model grace and serenity in all situations and remember that you have already won our battles for us...amen.


No comments: