Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Problem with Neighbors

All the readings are found at EWTN...

Sirach 28: 1 - 9

1 He that takes vengeance will suffer vengeance from the Lord, and he will firmly establish his sins.
2 Forgive your neighbor the wrong he has done, and then your sins will be pardoned when you pray.
3 Does a man harbor anger against another, and yet seek for healing from the Lord?
4 Does he have no mercy toward a man like himself, and yet pray for his own sins?
5 If he himself, being flesh, maintains wrath, who will make expiation for his sins?
6 Remember the end of your life, and cease from enmity, remember destruction and death, and be true to the commandments.
7 Remember the commandments, and do not be angry with your neighbor; remember the covenant of the Most High, and overlook ignorance.
8 Refrain from strife, and you will lessen sins; for a man given to anger will kindle strife,
9 and a sinful man will disturb friends and inject enmity among those who are at peace.

So, I am not what you might call a quiet mom. I would like to say that I had to learn to yell over all 11 children, but that would be a lie. I always yelled. I used to be a cheerleader. That is my way...

I have recently become convicted...could yelling at my children be a sin? I think that when I yell across the football field, "Go ANT!!" that might be perfectly acceptable, but yelling and screaming when my little girls are biting, hitting, and pinching each other is not so acceptable. I further have to wonder how much of their behavior is reaction to my repeated loss of....not so much control.


The first reading for next Sunday makes it clear that we must love our neighbor. In loving them, we must forgive the wrongs they have done to us. I think this might mean, also, that I need to let go of the misbehavior of my babies...even if they know they are not supposed to pinch each other....even if it is 106 degrees out....and even if we have been waiting in the car for almost an hour. Sigh...why doesn't it just say that.

Father, Help me to retain control at all times of my feelings and especially of my actions. Remind me that my children are always watching what I do and I need to model appropriate actions at all time because they are learning how to act through me. amen.

I made a worksheet to use with my kids regarding this reading. We are going to do it prior to Mass so they will, hopefully, pay attention more since they will recognize it. Also, we always discuss the reading after Mass at lunch so a little familiarity might lessen the blank stares.
A Week 24 Sunday 1st reading


      enjoy and God bless!



No comments: