Thursday, February 16, 2012

Who Dunnit

from google images
I would love to say that this is what my child's lunch looks like every day...I can't. Every night we have a routine where we assemble 8 lunches. One child no longer attends school. My two high schoolers insist on buying lunch from school. That leaves my middle, intermediate, and elementary students still packing a lunch. I realize by high school my 7th grader, if he doesn't home school will succumb to the appeal of the high school lunch, or at least a snack and divert the money to his Saturday nights, but I try to pack a lunch with fruit, a sandwich on whole grain bread, and some kind of snack, either organic or homemade. When I realized last summer that we had to go all organic, school lunches were what gave me panic attacks. While making lunches for 8 was never easy, making organic lunches for eight seemed insurmountable. Making it cute is just impossible!! However, the gains we have made in behavior alone made it all worthwhile. Until about a month in...then the phone calls from the school. Please put money in Nicolette's lunch account. She needs to buy milk...um, no she doesn't. At least not the milk that are loaded with antibacterials. Please send more food for Antoine...he is starving. Um, no he isn't. He just wants ice cream. We have explained to the school multiple times that the better behavior they are presented with from the Murphy kids has much more to do with the clean food that we serve them than on any thing else. And it is more filling than the food in the cafeteria, so they don't need extra to fill up. The school has a policy of leaving anything that is not eaten and still wrapped out for anyone to eat. I have thrown away full lunches I sent to school and left with wrappers from other children's discards, supplied from the school, sure that our children are starving to death. They aren't...

So I was not surprised at all by the news story that circulated the web earlier this week...a kindergartner's lunch was confiscated by the school and served chicken nuggets by a social worker. The child in question had a lunch that contained a cheese sandwich, a banana, and a bag of chips. Yes, this is why I really want to home school my children. There are a million reasons why a parent chooses a child's lunch and the school has no business messing with any of them. I tell the children that I spend a lot of money on their food because it is better for them than the orange and purple stuff in the colorful wrappers. I just cannot yet find a helthy alternative that will agree to wrap it up in neon...But, mommy, are we poor? That is all they hear. Yes children...you will need to sell your season passes to Six Flags in order to make you funner lunches. I am so sorry..

I am not at all surprised by the school reaction. I faced this last summer when the whole issue became so important to me. I get the health reasons, however, I was confused. God has led me to enlarging our family, possibly homeschooling and a whole host of other issues...why was this important to Him? Then I noticed the issue...how much is the packed food industry influenced by the eugenic movement? Started to make more sense to me the further I dug...
gooole image


The story of the FDA and the food industry writes like a great mystery novel...a thriller. Unfortunately, we are the unwitting victims...

No comments: